Wednesday 7 March 2012

Mini Cakes and Cupcakes

07.03.2012
Another cake decorating success.
Purely for time I cheated again and used Tesco Value range sponge mix because I wanted to produce a cake quickly that I could get to work on. It was crap!!!

I bought some small cake tins with removeable bottoms from The Range for £1.00 each in their new children's cooking section.  I greased them but next time will line with a muffin case. I made one mini cake into chocolate but overfilled tin which came out great and stood proud next to the other two weak attempts.

One cake became a Victoria sponge, jam and butter cream in centre and piped rosette styles around the top using of all things a plunger-tube style icing gun and star nozzle which my Mam gave me years ago. One cake was chocolate fudge cake with Betty Crocker chocolate fudge filling and then topped with piped fudge filling and the third cake (for me) Lemon Drizzle cake.  Lemon curd and lemon butter cream filling and lemon butter cream topping however...

this time I took my Auntie Chris's advice and used a cream cheese (i.e. Philedelphia style) and mixed half margarine, half cream cheese with the icing sugar and it was GORGEOUS, much lighter, much creamier and less greasy/sickly than butter cream with just butter!!!

What I learnt?  
- Value cake mix - crap
- Value soft cream cheese - AMAZING
- Line mini cake tins next time!! 
-
The cupcakes have lemon curd filling which I used the plunger-style tube icing gun and long nozzle and also did the same with the chocolate cakes for something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment